Do you have handspinning questions? Are you looking for answers? Don't worry, Ms Spinster understands and is ready and willing to answer any questions. How do you think she came to be nicknamed: PatsyZ Most Excellent Spinnin' Guru.Calm

? For help write to Patsy at spins(at)spinninguru.com. Your question and her answer could be posted on this web page.

 Use the search tool and category list on the right to find the answer to your question.

How Did I Come to be a Spinner - 1981 Part 3

Clearly I was a seamstress and a weaver, but spinning did not intrigue me in the least.  What I didn’t understand was my husband's point of view.  He knew 

1) nothing would keep me from attending this group.

2) that I loved textiles.

3) that I was the only one who didn’t have a spinning wheel. 

 Adding those three thoughts together, pooling all his resources, and gift monies from Valentines to Christmas, he ordered an Ashford traditional spinning wheel kit for me. 

 Although he loves his little wood shop now, at this point in his life story, wood and kits were very unfamiliar, so he enlisted the help of a good friend to help him to put it together at their log cabin in Rapid City, SD.

When finished, they arranged a meal at their place for the presentation. The first thing, I saw was the spinning wheel.

Of course, I laughed and sang out “Oh! Phyllis, you have a spinning wheel!” I was ready to tell her about all my friends who were spinners, but she said,

“No, Patsy you have a spinning wheel.” 

As that thought burst through my head, I quickly turned my back, found a “smile” and said, “I guess I’m going to learn to spin.”

What in the world had my husband's good intentions got me into. We had a fine meal then took the little wheel home.   Back at home, with the Tradional Ashford, I tried remember what went on at our evening get togethers, but I had been weaving and chating.  Treadling was difficult.  Very difficult!  

I still spin on my original Ashford, this is my favorite wheel for spinning flax.   Now of course, I have a large herd of wheels, (this photo only shows five of my dozen wheels), so due to the traditional's age she usually stays home.  
                                                        

No comments: